If you are living in Oregon and are an immigrant, you are no stranger to Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). It is basically an immigration policy that was established when Obama was president. After a series of challenges, it has now come into effect this year. What it basically intends to do is protect immigrants from getting deported. In this blog, we will delve deeper into what it is. Meanwhile, if you need help, a DACA Lawyer can help.
What are the benefits of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals?
One of the benefits of the policy is that it will protect people who came to the US as children from getting deported. Moreover, the immigrants may even be eligible for relief. The immigrants will also be given a chance to continue living, working, and studying in the US. “Dreamers,” also known as DACA recipients, are granted two-year renewable deferred action status, allowing them to acquire work permits and benefits.
What are the eligibility criteria?
While the policy is there to protect the immigrants, it is important to remember that not all of them will be eligible to get relief. There are certain requirements that must be met in order to qualify.
- One of the eligibility criteria is that they should have come to the US when they were under 16, and those who are older than that cannot apply.
- The person should also have continued living in the US since their arrival. Only those who came here in 2007 and lived here until then can apply.
- To be eligible for DACA, applicants must have been present in the United States on June 15, 2012, at the time of application submission.
- There are some other criteria as well like the immigrant should be studying in a school currently and should have a high school diploma or GED certificate. Those who have been discharged from the Armed Forces in the US honorably are also eligible.
- It should also be noted that in order to qualify for the policy, the person should also not have any kind of criminal record that will prove to be a threat to security.
A background check will also be done on the immigrants to make sure everything is fine. If you need help applying for it, a DACA lawyer in Oregon will be able to help.